Wednesday, December 25, 2013

The Clue Game

For a couple of years now, my husband has wanted to sponsor a child through an organization like Compassion International or World Vision. Both of these organizations work with children in developing countries to provide an education and additional resources to help end the cycle of poverty. Both organizations are run on Christian principles and the children hear the Gospel. I've always been hesitant to sponsor a child; after all, we have two children at home. But then I was challenged in a book I read to give a donation to an organization of my choice that equals what our family spends on Christmas. In other words, if you spend $200 on Christmas gifts, give $200 to a charitable organization. I felt that sponsoring a child through Compassion International would be a good way to give my husband something he has wanted while making an impact on a child somewhere else in need. 

So now comes the plan. :) Hubby's birthday is two weeks before Christmas. I went online and chose a child with the same birth date as our son. My mother-in-law was nice enough to pay the first payment on her debit card so that my hubs wouldn't see the transaction through our bank. Once I had chosen a child to sponsor, I researched his home country, Ecuador, so that our entire family could learn in the process. Every day between his birthday and Christmas, I gave him a clue for his Christmas gift. 

Here's the clue list (not in the order I gave them, but in the order from the Christmas morning note):


Andes Mints
Amazon Gift Card
Toy Frog
Butterfly puzzle
Swedish Fish
Pig puzzle piece
$1 bill
Soccer ball
Hot Cocoa
Coffee mug
Sugar Babies
Banana Runts candy
Potatoes
Casey’s General Store gift card

And here's the note from me that he got on Christmas Morning: 

Dear Will, 


Over the last 14 days you have gotten a daily clue for your Christmas present. Even though they may seem unrelated and totally random, they are all connected to a young 6 year old boy from Ecuador. But before you meet Aldrin,I want you to learn a little more about his country. 

Ecuador is of course in South America and is home to both the Andes Mountains and the Amazon River. Ecuador is also home to the Galapagos Islands where Charles Darwin did much of his research. These Islands are home to many different types of frogs, butterflies and fish. Other parts of the country have animals that we Americans typically see on a farm, like pigs.

The people there primarily speak Spanish as well as a few other native languages. Their currency is the US dollar. They enjoy watching and playing soccer.

Ecuador exports many food products including cocoa, coffeesugar, bananas and potatoes. They also export a lot of oil, refined into gas in our cars.

So now that you've learned about Ecuador, I’d like you to meet Aldrin.

Merry Christmas. I love you. 

Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment